Flow cytometry consists of measuring the properties of individual cells or microscopic particles in suspension through fluorescent markers. Flow cytometry not only quantifies these markers from different cell populations but also allows for sorting these populations in accordance with their characteristics.
The Cytometry and Cell Cultures Platform allows users to create in vitro cultures and to experiment with different types of cell populations, both with primary cultures and established cell lines.
Recently, a Sehorse XFe96 Analyzer has been added to the platform to analyze the metabolism of living cells.
- A BD FACSVerse flow cytometer (lasers 488, 640 and 405 nm and 8 fluorescence detectors).
- A BD FACSAria Fusion flow cytometer (sorter) (lasers 488, 640 and 405 nm and 14 fluorescence detectors).
- A BD FACS Lyse Wash Assistant sample preparation instrument.
- Laminar flow cabinets: 6 Telstar Bio-IIA biosafety cabinets.
- Incubators: 7 units with temperature, humidity, and CO2 control.
- Inverted microscopes: Olympus, Nikon (with fluorescence detection) and LEICA.
- Cryopreservation equipment: liquid nitrogen tanks, cryogenic freezer, and ultrafreezers.
- Cell counter: Millipore Scepter.
- Electroporator for eukaryotic cells: Lonza Nucleofactor.
- Tissue dissociator: Miltenyi GentleMacs Dissociator.
- Real-time monitoring equipment for cell growth/adhesion/migration: RTCA ACEA.
Seahorse metabolic analyzer
- Cell metabolic analyzer in a 96-well plate format. Agilent Seahorse XFe96.
The main services offered by the IdISBa in the field of cytometry and cell cultures are:
- Preparation of samples for flow cytometry.
- Immunophenotyping (membrane or intracellular).
- Cell cycle and function study.
- Multiplex quantification.
- Cell separation.
- Use of incubators and cabinets for primary cultures and maintaining cell lines.
- Tissue dissociation.
- Cell counting.
- Cell and cell line preservation at -150 ºC (cryogenic freezer or in liquid N2).
- Cell metabolic analysis in a 96-well plate format through commercial or homemade kits.
- Training users in handling the available equipment.
- Technical consulting in experimental design, sample preparation, etc.
The Cytometry and Cell Culture Platform is located at modules I and F, on level -1, and at building S, on level 0, of the Son Espases University Hospital. It covers a usable space of 21.60 m2 for cytometry and 17.25 m2 for cell cultures at module I, 14.15 m2 at module F, and 30.05 m2 at building S.
Dra. Catalina Crespí Bestard
Tel.: (+34) 871 20 52 34 Ext. 64522