The Fundació Institut d’Investigació Sanitària Illes Balears as an entity seeks to bring together the Health Research Institute of Palma (IdISPa) and the Balearic Islands Ramón Llull Health Research Foundation (FISIB):
The Balearic Islands Ramón Llull Health Research Foundation (FISIB) was created in 2010 with the aim of promoting and conducting clinical research projects and programmes, technological development and innovation in the field of health.
This activity was created as a result of extending the scope of the Caubet-Cimera Foundation (an organisation specialising in the respiratory field) to any biomedical field. In 2012, the FISIB and the Mateu Orfila Foundation for Health Research in the Balearic Islands (an organisation specialising in the management of clinical research in the Balearic region) were merged through a process of absorption.
The Health Research Institute of Palma (IdISPa) was created on 23 December 2013 by means of a collaboration agreement between the Ramón Llull Health Research Foundation (FISIB), the Health Department of the Balearic Islands, the Balearic Health Service and the University of the Balearic Islands.
Subsequently, on 17 February 2017, the Institute changed its name to become the Fundació Institut d’Investigació Sanitària Illes Balears (IdISBa), and incorporating the Balearic Islands Blood and Tissue Bank Foundation as a signatory to the Institute Agreement.
The IdISBa is a public institutional organisation with a private structure, not for profit, with its assets permanently tied to its general-interest goals as a foundation.
These goals are established in article 6 of the foundation’s statues, and include:
- Help promote and co-ordinate the implementation and development of scientific research programmes in general, and particularly those applied to biomedicine and health sciences, and programmes promoting health and disease prevention, improvements to health and social care, and rehabilitation.
- Boost competitive research, facilitate research, access to scientific documentation, the gathering of information and scientific production, updating the knowledge and training of health and/or research staff, in co-ordination and collaboration with other public and private institutions working in the same field. This involves, in particular, collaboration with the University of the Balearic Islands and with existing research institutes, such as the University Institute of Health Sciences Research (IUNICS) and various other research centres. The Foundation must support the creation of research teams in conjunction with the staff from universities, hospitals and research bodies.
- Convey and disseminate among society and the health sector advances in research, information and experience, through appropriate acts of dissemination. Facilitate the management of knowledge and the dissemination of scientific documentation. Co-operate in initiatives to increase scientific culture among the population, reduce times between research and its application, strengthen translational research and promote the development of a biotechnological health innovation sector in the Balearic Islands. Promote the organisation of scientific activities to disseminate the knowledge acquired through seminars, courses, conferences, workshops, publications and other means of dissemination.
- Promote the optimal use of resources placed at the service of research, ensuring efficacy, efficiency and quality as characteristics of the public health system.
- Guarantee the principle of legality, ethical principles and professional deontology when conducting research and managing knowledge.
- Facilitate procurement and funding, and the administration and management of the projects and programmes cited in the goals in letter a, b, and c above.
- Foster health-related development and innovation, and support the creation of a biotechnology production sector in the Balearic Islands.
- Conduct research that is relevant to improving the health of the population, following international standards of quality.
- Support increases in research, promoting the capture of talent and the creation of new research groups.
- Facilitate training in research, in collaboration with the University, preferably linked to third-cycle and postgraduate programmes.
- Promote synergies between the institutions involved in the Foundation and the optimal use of the infrastructures available, ensuring the efficiency and quality of the health research carried out.
- Secure public and private funding to finance research.
- Facilitate good management of research projects.
- Award grants, scholarships and other aid in their field of research.
- Train research and teaching staff on issues in their field of research.
- Co-operate with national and international bodies through agreements and other forms of collaboration.
- Any other goal related to those stated that is approved by the Foundation Board of Trustees.
Based on these goals, the IdISBa undertakes the following activities:
- Promote and conduct basic and applied clinical research projects and programmes, technological development and innovation in the health field to help promote, protect and improve the health of the population in general and that of the Balearic Islands in particular.
- Manage means and resources at the service of implementing basic or applied clinical research programmes and projects, and facilitating the management of knowledge, technological development and innovation in the field of biomedicine and health sciences.
- Manage funds for updating knowledge among health staff, through a scientific documentation service and through staff training.
- Manage resources to conduct programmes aimed at promoting quality of care and good health among the population.
- Obtain economic resources from any public or private individuals or organisations for the foundation’s activities.
- Implement development activities, in the terms provided for in regional legislation on matters of subsidies.
- Establish agreements and collaboration agreements with other public or private organisations to obtain and recognise the technical and financial support received by said organisation.
- Act as the office for transferring research results aimed at supporting, managing and promoting the culture of innovation and technological transfer between professionals and researchers in the field of biomedicine and health sciences.
- Facilitate and co-ordinate actions to create all the complexes of centres and entities with business and/or technological content linked to its goals that may be of interest, such as business parks, technology centres or technology-based business incubators, and, where appropriate, take on their management role.
- Create companies or other entities, or participate in the terms established in current legislation to achieve its goals and, particularly for exploiting appropriate intellectual or industrial property rights.
- Carry out any activity that might contribute to achieving the foundation’s goals.